B2B Marketers who blog can increase awareness, credibility and leads, while improving their search engine rankings.
Exponential power is a force that starts slow, but then grows increasingly faster over time, in a non-linear fashion.
In today's marketing world, blogs have exponential power.
Benefits of blogs to B2B marketers can include:
- Improving search engine rankings.
- Raising awareness of your company.
- Establishing your firm's credibility with thought leadership.
- Putting a human voice to your company.
- Obtaining feedback from customers, prospects and influencers.
- Being a source of ideas for new products or services.
However, success can only be achieved if the blog has helpful, useful content that is written with the reader in mind. Unfortunately, many business blogs are not much more than corporate megaphones, developed to echo the firm's PR efforts and little.
In Social Media B2B, Jeffrey L. Cohen outlines 10 blogging best practices which are ideal for B2B Marketers who are either building a corporate blog or want to give their current blog exponential power:
- Establish a Strategy - Your blog needs to be part of a comprehensive marketing strategy. What are you hoping to achieve with your blog? Who is your readership?
- Define an Editorial Policy - What will be relevant and interesting to your readership?
- Find a Voice - Your blog should not sound like it's been written by a committee. Or a legal department. Make it sound as if you're talking to an audience member one-on-one.
- Create Compelling Content - This is the most important of all 10 best practices. Your audience will begin to know, like and trust your firm if you can provide content that is interesting and useful.
- Use Keywords - When developing your content, use keyword and search terms that your audience uses. Make sure to include those keywords in your titles, too.
- Post on a Regular Schedule - Most blogs die because they are launched amongst great interest and enthusiasm and then ignored. Don't start a blog unless there is commitment to posting on a regular basis. A blog that is not updated is a credibility killer.
- Show Author Pictures - You can't have a human face on your company without a human face on your blog.
- Link from Home Page - You can't engage with your audience if they can't find your blog. A home page link to the blog helps a lot.
- Engage with Readers - Every reader comment should get a response.
- Spread your Content - Use social media to spread your message, and encourage your readers to share your content.
Click here to read "10 Business Blogging Best Practices."