If properly marketed, webinars can help B2B marketers cost-effectively raise their profile and generate leads.
Webinars, or web-based seminars are presentations transmitted over the Web, and include interaction of various types between the audience and the presenter.
Because of their emphasis on educating rather than hard-selling, webinars have become a popular and effective means of marketing, particularly in the business-to-business arena.
As with many new marketing tactics however, there are some common webinar pitfalls.
- Trying to do too much with one event. Webinars are a classic "narrowcasting" tactic. However, some marketers try to offer something for everyone in webinars, thus decreasing the relevancy and usefulness.
- Failing to use content as the primary draw. Content is the #1 reason participants choose to engage in a webinar. Unfortunately, some webinar planners gloss over serious consideration for what their target really wants to know.
- Failure to have a marketing plan for the webinar. Many assume that attendance will take care of itself if they have good content and a free webinar.
To develop a webinar marketing plan, the authors list 9 strategies to boost attendance:
- Define your specific audience and objectives for the webinar. As counter intuitive as it may seem, the narrower the webinar objective, the more likely it is to succeed.
- Create a topic that will serve as a draw to your target market. Remember that everyone in your target listens to the same radio station, WIFM ("What's In it For Me").
- Create a compelling invitation. Try to create this before developing the content to ensure the content delivers on the invitation's promise.
- Develop a wide media plan. Casting a wide net (beyond your in-house list) for prospective attendees will help boost your chances for success.
- Enlarge your email list and marketing reach by inviting a bigger popluation. Rent a list or use the list of a sponsor if you have one.
- Reach your core, target audience multiple times. It's a numbers game - multiple messages increase attendance.
- Sharpen your webinar marketing to be more benefits oriented. Try to eliminate all features of the webinar, replacing them with the benefits of attending.
- Send them right to a simple registration form. Don't send them to your home page.
- Remind registrants the morning of the event. You can use email reminders and even phone reminders.
Click here to download a copy of "The Definitive Webinar Marketing eGuide" or view the SlideShare below.